News about Samsung and Android

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re: News about Samsung and Android

[glow=red]Nvidia sues Qualcomm, Samsung for infringing on its ‘invention of the GPU’[/glow]

www.extremetech.com

Nvidia sues
      Nvidia is not a patent troll. The company has invested billions of dollars into R&D over the decades and has done a great deal of important work with gamers, developers, and hardware engineers to build great GPUs. No matter which GPU manufacturer you prefer, Nvidia deserves credit for its own work — which is why I was surprised to see the firm announce today that it had sued both Samsung and Qualcomm for supposedly infringing on seven different GPU patents. One of the patents is an absolute humdinger: It asserts that the GPU itself – a single chip with “all the functions necessary to process graphics and light up screens — is a foundational invention of Nvidia.

There are two reasons why this case sticks out. First, Nvidia, is suing Samsung — a company which does not build its own graphics IP and merely licenses the work of others, including Qualcomm’s Adreno, ARM’s Mali, and Imagination Technologies’ PowerVR. Nvidia’s blog post claims that Samsung dismissed these issues as a “supplier problem,” ignoring the fact that from Samsung’s perspective, that’s exactly what this is.

Second, while it’s true that this is Nvidia’s first patent lawsuit against another company, many of the patents the company is asserting go right back to the beginning of the GPU era. Nvidia is accusing Samsung and Qualcomm, for example, of violating its patent on transform and lighting engines — a patent that dates back to the early days of 3D accelerated games, some 13 years ago. Most of the other patents are nearly as old, and cover equally fundamental aspects of modern GPU programming.
      Sue everyone for everything

No, Nvidia hasn’t filed suit against ARM or Imagination Technologies directly but it’s hard to see how those companies wouldn’t be in the GPU developer’s crosshairs given that it’s targeting their products. According to Nvidia’s filed depositions, both ARM’s Mali and PowerVR are in violation. It may not target those companies (Nvidia likely doesn’t want to go up against ARM, given that the latter controls its CPU licensing), but this is an obvious attempt to throw as wide a net as possible over the entire industry.

Read our featured story: The Patent War – Is it killing innovation?

It doesn’t help the optics of the situation that they’re also asking the courts to ban the import, sale, resale, or shipments of… pretty much every single product Samsung manufactures that includes a GPU from ARM, PowerVR, or Qualcomm. Oddly, Nvidia does not ask for the same for Qualcomm.

Nvidia had the first GPU to handle all the modern pipeline steps on-die — but that was 13 years ago

Nvidia is casting this as a beleaguered company attempting to claim some fraction of the compensation its entitled to, but it’s hard to see this as a David vs. Goliath story when the two companies getting sued just happen to be its primary competition. Samsung licenses its graphics IP, it doesn’t develop it independently. Furthermore, if ARM’s Mali is in violation of Nvidia’s patents, as Nvidia alleges, why isn’t Nvidia having that conversation with ARM?

I haven’t spoken to the actual patent claims themselves because most of them are extremely broad, and I’m a journalist, not a patent lawyer. What I will say is that Nvidia’s choice of targets seems quite tailored.

Were Nvidia to succeed with these lawsuits, it would effectively gain royalty fees or compensation for virtually every device on the market. The only GPU manufacturer I’m aware of that isn’t listed is Vivante — and they have a small presence in budget hardware. It’s also worth noting that the wording in Nvidia’s blog post suggests that it has already secured patent licensing deals with other companies. If Nvidia really does own the IP for the GPU itself, then it could be very lucrative indeed.

For Governor and Sheduler infos. Take a look at
      this site

Display Spoiler

My Phones: Nokia 909, Motorola V3, ... Siemens S35, Siemens S45 . . . ( :hmm: can not remember) ... SEK750, SEK800, SEC905, Galaxy S1, S2, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4 and now my

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F
      EchoeRom N v? with S7E AEL N Kernel v?

and

Note 4 SM-910F
      EchoeRom v? with N4 AEL Kernel v?

[glow=violet] An infographic showcases how the Galaxy Note series has evolved over the years [/glow]

www.sammobile.com

Note is evolving
      Samsung has unveiled the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge in their Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event during IFA 2014. Both these smartphones turned out to be as feature packed as we expected but that was always the case with every Galaxy Note smartphone ever released, wasn’t it? Did you know that the Galaxy Note 4 offers twice the camera resolution and four times the CPU cores when compared to the original Galaxy Note?

To know how exactly the Galaxy Note series of smartphones have evolved over the years, have a look at this attractive and easy to understand infographic from Samsung.

this site

Display Spoiler

My Phones: Nokia 909, Motorola V3, ... Siemens S35, Siemens S45 . . . ( :hmm: can not remember) ... SEK750, SEK800, SEC905, Galaxy S1, S2, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4 and now my

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F

[glow=orange] Samsung Gear S features explained in an attractive infographic [/glow]

www.sammobile.com

Gear S features in attractive infographic
      Samsung has released an attractive infographic which explains the features and capabilities of the Gear S which was officially announced just before the IFA 2014. It is the first smartwatch from Samsung which comes with an inbuilt micro SIM card slot letting the users connect to the Internet and make voice calls independently without relying on a smartphone. The Gear S is based on Tizen platform and comes with a large 2-inch Super AMOLED display, 1GHz dual-core processor, 512MB of RAM, 4GB of storage, and a 300mAh battery.

As opposed to Android Wear based smartwatches released till now, the the Gear S comes with inbuilt GPS connectivity which can be used to perform various location based tasks such as navigation. In a partnership with Samsung, Nokia has released HERE Maps for the Gear S. Samsung has also tied up with Nike to provide the Nike Plus Running application for the Gear S which allows fitness focussed users to track their runs on the map.

this site

Display Spoiler

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F

[glow=darkblue]Samsung explains Gear VR features using an infographic [/glow]

www.sammobile.com

Gear VR infographic
      In a partnership with Oculus VR, Samsung has announced their first virtual reality headset, the Gear VR. As this is a completely new product category for Samsung, they thought that it would a great idea to educate users about the features and capabilities of the Gear VR through an infographic. Unlike other virtual reality headsets, the Gear VR uses the Galaxy Note 4′s 5.7-inch Super AMOLED screen to power the entire experience. The Gear VR can be used to enjoy extremely immersive movie watching or gaming experience. Priced at €200, the Gear VR will be available later this year from Samsung’s retail stores and through carriers. It will also be available bundled with Samsung’s Gamepad controller for €250.

this site

Display Spoiler

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F

[glow=red]Samsung releases 4.4.4 for Galaxy S3 Neo ![/glow]

so maybe it would come also soon for other devices ;)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sammobile.com/2014/09/05/samsung-galaxy-s3-neo-gt-i9300i-gets-android-4-4-4-update/">http://www.sammobile.com/2014/09/05/sam ... -4-update/</a><!-- m -->

Echoe V48 N4

for latest Mods you can always have a look here S4 Mods old for V55 for V57 it's in the kitchen
      Guide to enable Toolbox Toggle
      S4 I9505 Modems and Bootloaders

Check this out sprint note 3 android 4.4.4

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sammobile.com/2014/09/09/sprints-galaxy-note-3-should-be-getting-the-android-4-4-4-update-today/">http://www.sammobile.com/2014/09/09/spr ... ate-today/</a><!-- m -->

[glow=blue]Tizen powered Gear Blink rumored to launch in March 2015[/glow]

www.sammobile.com

Gear Blink
      There has been some chatter about Samsung working on a Google Glass rival of its own. The company already has a major presence in the wearable device market thanks to its comprehensive lineup of smartwatches, but this product would certainly set it apart from the rest that are not punching above their weight and trying to come up with smartglasses of their own.

Industry sources will have you believe that the Samsung Gear Blink is going to be launched in March 2015 around the same time the Galaxy S6 is going to hit the market. One of its features could be to leverage augmented reality in order to project a virtual keyboard on the user’s hands so that they can quite literally type in air. Samsung already has a trademark for this with the Korean Intellectual Property Rights Information Service, number 4020140033123.

At one time it was rumored that perhaps this device would be shown off at IFA 2014 but that didn’t happen. Since there are no major Samsung events scheduled for later this year the March 2015 timeframe seems plausible.

There isn’t a lot of information available about the specifications of the Gear Blink but if reports are to be believed it will be powered by Samsung’s own OS known as Tizen. No design renders have appeared online as yet the only idea of the device’s design we can get is from the drawings in patent and trademark filings, and we all know they don’t necessarily reflect what’s coming in the future.

this site

Display Spoiler

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F

"4aces" wrote:

Noo...samy please drop tizen!!!

Oh, I prefer my Gear2 Neo! It can do so much more than the Gear Live! You can also call Kitt with the Gear2! +:weint_vor_lachen=+: +:blinzel=+:

this site

Display Spoiler

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F

[glow=red]Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge pre-orders go live in Germany with sky high prices[/glow]

www.sammobile.com

Note 4 and Edge romored prices
      Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge at the IFA 2014 trade show earlier this month. The company didn’t reveal pricing for both devices it only said that they’ll hit the market later this fall. There’s good news for you if you’re in Germany as several retailers have already started taking pre-orders for both devices, but your wallet isn’t going to be too happy.

Retailers offering the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge through Amazon.de are asking as much as €995.91 for the devices. The price is listed as a €3 discount as opposed to retail store price, which is unlikely, since Samsung has never charged this high for Note devices. The Galaxy Note 3 was sold for €600 and it is highly unlikely that the new devices will cost any higher than that, but the possibility exists that Galaxy Note Edge may be priced slightly higher.

Other retailers, namely Notebooksbilliger, redcon and MediaMarkt are seeking €699 to confirm pre-orders for the Galaxy Note 4. Notebooksbilliger also lists the Galaxy Note Edge for pre-order with a €1,000 price tag.

So far Samsung has not confirmed how much these devices will cost which means one can either wait for that information to come in or just go ahead and put down money to ensure that a unit has your name on it once the company decides to ship out the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge.

this site

Display Spoiler

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F

• Re: AW: News about Samsung and Android

"YukiChan456" wrote:

[glow=red]Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge pre-orders go live in Germany with sky high prices[/glow]

www.sammobile.com

Note 4 and Edge romored prices
      Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge at the IFA 2014 trade show earlier this month. The company didn’t reveal pricing for both devices it only said that they’ll hit the market later this fall. There’s good news for you if you’re in Germany as several retailers have already started taking pre-orders for both devices, but your wallet isn’t going to be too happy.

Retailers offering the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge through Amazon.de are asking as much as €995.91 for the devices. The price is listed as a €3 discount as opposed to retail store price, which is unlikely, since Samsung has never charged this high for Note devices. The Galaxy Note 3 was sold for €600 and it is highly unlikely that the new devices will cost any higher than that, but the possibility exists that Galaxy Note Edge may be priced slightly higher.

Other retailers, namely Notebooksbilliger, redcon and MediaMarkt are seeking €699 to confirm pre-orders for the Galaxy Note 4. Notebooksbilliger also lists the Galaxy Note Edge for pre-order with a €1,000 price tag.

So far Samsung has not confirmed how much these devices will cost which means one can either wait for that information to come in or just go ahead and put down money to ensure that a unit has your name on it once the company decides to ship out the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge.

I've seen an iPhone 6 today in ebay, also in pre-order. 1400€!!! Unreal, even if I would be a millionaire, I would not pay that price, just to have it some days earlier than others. Not for an iphone, nor for any other device.
      Phone: GT-I9505
      ROM: Echoe V50
      Recovery: TWRP 2.8.6.0

Sorry to say but I would and did before :(

But the Iphone 6 I wouldn't take for free...or maybe I would and sell it for 100% more the price it's worth
      It is not said to get better if things change but for things to get better you need change
    • Re: AW: News about Samsung and Android

"roy72" wrote:

Me neather if that are the prices I'll stick with my s4 and maybe by an oppo find 7

You will buy no new device. You have to buy many pampers the next year my friend.[emoji2]
      Phone: GT-I9505
      ROM: Echoe V50
      Recovery: TWRP 2.8.6.0

"speedwayfan75" wrote:

"roy72" wrote:

Me neather if that are the prices I'll stick with my s4 and maybe by an oppo find 7

You will buy no new device. You have to buy many pampers the next year my friend.[emoji2]

True my my friend[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] but stil got some mony for a new toy do[emoji12]

So to wind it up for now the suggestions are Note 4 Note Edge Sony Z2 One PLus One Note 2 and diapers?

Since I got the OPO and Note 2 it's a close one between diapers and the edge for me :P
      It is not said to get better if things change but for things to get better you need change

"4aces" wrote:

So to wind it up for now the suggestions are Note 4 Note Edge Sony Z2 One PLus One Note 2 and diapers?

Since I got the OPO and Note 2 it's a close one between diapers and the edge for me :P

I think you go for the edge[emoji6]

Since our younger one still likes to wear diapers at night I kinda got these as well ;)

I am very curious on any new release atm

[glow=red]Clove says the UK won’t be part of initial Galaxy Note Edge launch, confirms Galaxy Note 4 pricing[/glow]

www.sammobile.com

most European countries wont be getting it
      Recently, an analyst suggested that Samsung will only be able to ship around 1 million units of the Galaxy Note Edge in 2014 thanks to the fact that the curved Edge display of the device has a complicated manufacturing process. Now, UK retailer Clove has also come up with a statement saying that when the Galaxy Note Edge launches, there will be no stock available in UK. Samsung hasn’t yet confirmed anything, but distribution channels have reportedly told Clove that the UK won’t be among the countries the Note Edge will initially launch in, and that most European countries won’t be getting it.

This doesn’t come as surprising, considering information SamMobile received recently also suggested that the UK won’t be part of the initial launch. However, Clove has said that for those looking to buy the Galaxy Note Edge, it will try to source non-UK stock, though again, given the limited regions the device will be launching in, it remains to be seen just how easy it will be for consumers to get hold of one. Pricing isn’t confirmed either, but you can be sure the Galaxy Note Edge won’t be too affordable given its unique selling point.

Thankfully, the Galaxy Note 4 won’t be so elusive, as Clove says that the first stock due to arrive in the week starting October 13. The fourth-generation Note flagship will be priced at £575, and people will likely be able to buy it for less on monthly plans.

this site

Display Spoiler

Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

and

Note 4 SM-910F