Any Outdoors Lovers?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any Outdoors Lovers?

So a couple years ago I made this app with Tasker, just for my personal use. In a nutshell, it calculated sun and moon data for a given location on a given date, then analyzed very detailed hourly weather forecasts to calculate a score for every hour of a given date roughly 0-100. The higher the score, the more likely animals and fish will be moving. It sounds gimmicky but I found it to be rather accurate in predicting real life observations of deer movement.

Last year a series of very unfortunate events led to the loss of all my work on that app....all the backups and everything.

I've just rebuilt it (well, it's not clean and finished but the calculations are working)!! And I'm super pumped. The complexity of the calculations are tremendous. Pulling it off with Tasker is quite a feat!

User inputs any zip code or hits a button to grab gps coordinates of current position. Then user enters any future date. The program will calculate the exact sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, moon overhead, moon underfoot, times for any position on the globe (an enormous calculation).

If the date is more than 10 days in the future, the program uses only sun/moon data and calculates a single score for the entire day.

If the date is 10 or less days in the future, the program scores the solunar data for each hour. Then it grabs a super detailed hourly weather forecast from a weatherunderground api.

For every hour of the given date, the program analyzes the solunar data score, temperature, wind, pressure (measurement and direction of trend), weather conditions (everything from sunny/cloudy to rain/snow...and weighted on pct chance of precip when relevant) and creates a total score for each hour. At the end of the program run a notification is sent. When the user taps the notification, a report opens with the hourly scoring detail along with the solunar and weather conditions as well as the triggers that affected the score for that hour and how each one influenced the algorithm.

This is just me testing it with the debugging run log scrolling in the background, but here's what it looks like...I still have to fix some text colors and scene sizes, etc...